Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TRJE - A Sacred Hoop

I can’t remember the last time I was so revved up and inspired as I am right now. This past Saturday, February 16th, I attended the Three Rivers Jenbe Ensemble Creative Writing class for the first time. To start things off, everyone sat in a large circle to honor those who have inspired or made an impact on the lives of others. One of the members of TRJE asked permission to drop water on a plant that was placed in the center of the circle. Each drop of water signified the name of a departed individual. This reminded me of a book I read once about Black Elk, an Oglala Sioux medicine man who’s Earth Prayer paid tribute to the Great Spirit and sacred hoop of all things. The sacred hoop signified the sanctified manner of all things in the spirit, peacefully living as one within the hoop. This center of peacefulness creates holiness within the circle. Black Elk believed that “anywhere is the center of the world” and on Saturday, I felt a true connection to those words.
Next, individuals took turns speaking of accomplishments that they had during the past week. Although random, there was a respectful manner in which people took turns speaking. Individuals would raise their hand, stand, say their names and then speak of something positive that happened to them. To me, this identification of oneself each time they spoke signified individuality within a common whole. Each person in the circle was an individual and spoke of personal experiences they had during the week, but the circle was a unit of support made of human components. Each individual person was a significant building block within a banded troupe and what they said made them human and honest.
As I sat on the floor, racking my brain for something somewhat interesting to share, I realized that the most significant part of my week was happening at that very moment. I could have sat and listened to them speak for hours. The innocence and happiness they spoke with collectively created a sense of equality among us. Although the majority of the circle was between the ages of 7 and 17, the experiences they spoke of were relatable on multiple levels and it made me happy to be among them.
The large circle then split and some of us went in one room to work on writing while the others stayed behind to create music. Once again, we made a circle on the floor. As I sat on the wooden floor and looked up at the high ceilings above me, I felt small but great at the same time. The basics of grounding ourselves on the floor created a sense of humbleness in a gigantic universe. While we seemed so small in body, what we were doing together was greater than all of us combined. If I were to look down from the sky at that moment, it would have made me smile to view the circle.
Celestine began the discussion by reading one of her writings. It was beautiful and inspiring. I couldn’t believe the things I heard. She spoke of Imani, an affirmation of faith. It was a poem about the strength she has in her beliefs. While repeating, “I believe,” every few lines, she travelled down a path that began with a Heavenly Father to her parents to herself. It was poignant. I was impressed with not only her recognition of things greater than herself, but her affirmation of it. In a society littered with Paris Hilton types, she stood a young girl with pure guts and immeasurable ability.
Each individual who read their compositions had something different to say and in a unique manner. The creative spirit was energizing and I found myself composing in my head. Finding me on a Saturday within a circle of inspiration brought joy of the purest nature and a small fire has been lit on my path. The last thing I witnessed truly motivated my walk. While individuals were reading their poems, one of the girls wrote a poem and then read it to the circle. It was awe-inspiring and reminded me of myself. I thought of all the papers that lay strewn about my home with random thoughts and small poems on them. I thought of all the thoughts I have written in book margins and notebooks. She reminded me of myself – always composing in my head – a kind of silent turrets where words scream at one another in my mind. She had let her thoughts seep out within this sacred hoop.
I can’t wait until this Saturday’s class.

1 comment:

LibraryBlondie said...

I like your blog. All of the pictures down the side are really neat. Also, glad to see you're enjoying TRJE so far. I am too. We will have to touch base on projects.

Malissa

In honor of my husband the Navy Man

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'Whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

You could have heard a pin drop...

Teachers and Educators

According to a news report, a certain private school in Washington was recently faced with a unique problem. A number of 12-year-old girls were beginning to use lipstick and would put it on in the bathroom. That was fine, but after they put on their lipstick, they would press their lips to the mirror leaving dozens of little lip prints.Every night the maintenance man would remove them, and the next day the girls would put them back.Finally the principal decided that something had to be done. She called all the girls to the bathroom and met them there with the maintenance man. She explained that all these lip prints were causing a major problem for the custodian who had to clean the mirrors every night (you can just imagine the yawns from the little princesses).To demonstrate how difficult it had been to clean the mirrors, she asked the maintenance man to show the girls how much effort was required.He took out a long-handled squeegee, dipped it in the toilet, and cleaned the mirror with it.Since then, there have been no lip prints on the mirror.There are teachers .... and then there are educators.

He Would Not Stay for Me, and Who Can Wonder?

He would not stay for me, and who can wonder?
He would not stay for me to stand and gaze.
I shook his hand, and tore my heart in sunder,
And went with half my life about my ways.

A.E. Housman

Small Moments

Small Moments

From John F. Kennedy

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.